Monday, November 12, 2012

Treat of the Week: Homemade Sauce and 1234 Cake




Ah, the changing of the seasons means the end to the abundance of herbs in my mother’s garden and, being the clever sort, my mother makes sure to use them while they’re at their best. To this end, we often find autumn bringing us the much awaited giant pot of tomato sauce and homemade meatballs. 





Of course, every good Italian boy thinks his mama’s sauce and meatballs are the best. But, in this case, I’m right. Served up with a nice, crusty rosemary bread, a lovely and a lovely salad, it was just the best possible meal as the little nip begins to cling to the breeze. 






And, then, we got a new treat—a lovely cake known as the “1234 Cake,” so named for the amounts of the ingredients. 









A beautiful, dense white cake is the result. And, it’s truly the perfect texture. I was quite excited to see this gorgeous creation with its artful frosting of freshly whipped cream and beautiful strawberry adornment. The layers are filled with a flavorful spread of preserves, thinly-sliced strawberries and crème de cassis. Just look at those majestic whipped cream rosettes! Isn’t it pretty? As Hazel would say, “Missy, that cake is a doozy.” 




And, yes, I realize that I refer to Hazel too much. I’ll stop. I promise.





12 comments:

Matt said...

I can't believe how beautiful these meals are each week. One better than the last. This cake is beautiful.

April said...

it all looks so gooooooooooooooooooood!

Angelo said...

not all Italian boys. i bet your moms is better. cool cake.

Gene said...

I would be very happy tom have that.

Kathy said...

I love the decoration on the cake.

Barb said...

I always get hungry from these pictures. Today I'm really hungry. I love a good gravy! And strawberries...yummy.

Carolyn said...

I'm on break on set and all I have here is a protein bar. It seems very sad and sorry when I look at these beautiful goodies.

Sam P said...

I missed lunch and now I'm going crazy seeing that cake!

Mark said...

Smashing!!

Bonnie said...

Excellent decorating work!

Wendy said...

I always get myMonday dinner inspiration here! Too bad mine never looks this good.

Doug said...

Looks good!