Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cookie of the Day: Impressive Ischl Tarts






Ischl Tarts originated in Germany and part of Austria, several centuries ago, and were often baked during Christmastime. They’ve also been a part of my family’s Christmas tradition for, I can attest, at least the last 39 years.

A rather labor intensive recipe, these cookies begin with a dough of cream cheese and ground almonds which is rolled flat and cut into a rosette shape, half of which are cut with a central hole. These form the tops of the cookies. After baking into perfection, the bottom layers are spread with a layer of raspberry jam, and the tops are dusted with confectioner’s sugar. Assembled, they look like rubies nestled in a flower of snow. 


I always look forward to the annual Ischl Tarts and find them to be one of the most attractive cookies in Cookieland.


12 comments:

Mary said...

I grew up with these tarts too and I really love them. I am so glad people still make them.

Gene said...

I think I'd like these very much.

Matt said...

They're really pretty. They look like christmas ornaments.

April said...

They do look like gems. Very pretty.

Sam P said...

Wow! They're beautiful!

Barb said...

I could eat a dozen of them!

Angelo said...

Awesome cookies

Karen said...

I need to find me a cookie baker! They look delicious.

Beth Ann said...

I love these!!!

Carolyn said...

Yumsy Yumsy!!!

Bonnie said...

Such a lot of work! They look great!

Doug said...

I am very impressed.