Friday, December 21, 2012

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 218




Chapter 218 

Father Christmas 


Mr. Punch puffed out his lips with a burst of air and, then, pulled them in and bit them as he descended the stairs to the Servants’ Hall.

“Your Grace,” Speaight rose quickly, signaling for the others around the table to do so.

Violet, Ethel, Jenny, Mrs. Pepper and Georgie sprung to attention. They could see at once that their master was distracted and, even, perhaps a tad depressed.

“Good evening,” Mr. Punch nodded.

“Is something the matter, Your Grace?” Speaight asked.

“Well,” Punch shrugged, “I reckon so. Seems we got some house guests, we do. Charlie’s upstairs seein’ to ‘em just now. Lady Lensdown is in the Coral Room. Lady Constance will be in the Jade Room.”

Speaight frowned. “I tried, Your Grace, to keep both ladies from entering, however, Miss Molliner…”

“I know ya did, Speaight.” Punch interrupting, nodding his appreciation. “Only, it had to be done. Miss Molliner done the right thing lettin’ ‘em in. They got some trouble, the two of ‘em.” Punch took a deep breath—at least, he thought, he was free to speak in his own voice with the staff.

“What sort of trouble, Sir?” Mrs. Pepper asked.

“I can’t rightly say at the moment, Mrs. Pepper.” Mr. Punch replied. “Only it’s kind of private for them two ladies. When I can, I’ll let ya know. In the meantime, and I hate to do it to ya, but they’ll be stayin’ to dinner.”

“Oh, that’s not a problem, Your Grace.” Mrs. Pepper smiled. “We’ve plenty tonight. I made far too much as it is.”

“I’m glad.” Mr. Punch smiled. “I do hate to inconvenience you.”

“You never do, Sir.”

“Violet,” Punch said. “When you’ve finished dressing Miss Molliner, you might see if either of the other ladies needs anythin’.”

“Yes, Sir.” Violet nodded.

“And, Georgie,” Punch continued. “I’ve a letter what needs takin’ to Lensdown House. Leave it with their butler. It’s for the baron.”

“Yes, Your Grace,” George Pepper nodded, stepping forward to take the letter which Punch had taken from his coat. It was a simple note written by Lady Lensdown herself which said only that she was staying for dinner at Molliner House.

“Once Charlie’s got the windows open in the ladies’ rooms, he’ll add two places to the table. We’ll postpone dinner, maybe by half an hour, if it ain’t too much of a bother for ya, Mrs. Pepper.”

“No, not at all, Your Grace.” Mrs. Pepper smiled. “I’ll send Georgie up with nursery dinner when he returns, Sir. No sense Gamilla waitin’.”

“I was just goin’ to suggest that.” Punch nodded. He sighed. “Well, I think that’ll be all. If any of ya needs anythin’ or has any questions, Miss Molliner is prepared to answer. Dr. Halifax and me, we got some things to talk ‘bout and we’ll be in his study. If possible, we’d like to not be disturbed. Like I said, Miss Molliner can answer any questions just for tonight. We’ll be back to business like any other day tomorrow. I hope.”

“If there’s anythin’ we can do, Your Grace,” Ethel spoke up though she could feel Speaight’s disapproval without even looking at the butler, “please let us now. We hate to think that trouble keeps findin’ ya.”

“Thank you very much, Ethel.” Mr. Punch nodded. “And, I speak for Dr. Halifax as well, when I thank all of you for your continued assistance. Good evening.” With that, Punch distractedly turned and climbed the stairs.

Once the Duke was out of sight, Speaight grumbled. “I knew when Lady Lensdown came that there’d be nothing but trouble to follow. Would that Miss Molliner hadn’t let her in.”

“Oh,” Mrs. Pepper shook her head. “It’d have found a way in sooner or later. It always does.”

“May I be excused, Sir?” George asked.

“Yes, Georgie, and do be smartish. You know where Lensdown House is?”

“I do, Sir.” Georgie nodded.

“Off with you, then.”

“The poor Duke,” Ethel sniffed. “Poor Dr. Halifax. They don’t want nothin’ but peace and they don’t get it.”

“Aye.” Speaight nodded.

“When I was a little girl,” Jenny nodded. “I used to wish—wish really hard—that good folk would be left alone by bad things.”

“Who’d you wish it to?” Mrs. Pepper smiled.

“Father Christmas.”

“Father Christmas!” Ethel laughed.

“Sure, I did.” Jenny nodded innocently.

“And, there’s no reason she shouldn’t.” Mrs. Pepper replied, shooting Ethel a warning look.

“But, girl,” Mr. Speaight began. “When one prays…”

“I wasn’t prayin’, Sir, I was wishin’. It’s different.” Jenny replied. “I still do it.”

“And, has Father Christmas ever made your wishes come true?” Ethel asked, stifling a chuckle.

“Sometimes.”

“Ain’t no harm in believin’ in it.” Mrs. Pepper nodded. She appreciated Jenny’s innocence and often found herself trying to keep the girl as untouched by the cruel world as possible.

“Well, too bad Father Christmas ain’t gonna be much help in the summer.” Ethel mumbled.

“That ain’t’ so.” Jenny shook her head. “Ain’t just in December when he helps us.”

Mrs. Pepper and Speaight exchanged glances.

“You got an idea, Sir.” Jenny smiled. “I seen it.”

“Perhaps.” Speaight replied. “We can’t change the fact that the Duke’s been worried once again nor can we do much to help the masters with whatever’s troubling them, but, perhaps…”

“Maybe we can make ‘em forget that things is grim, if just for a moment. And, remind ‘em that we wish ‘em nothin’ but joy. Don’t need to be Christmastime for that.” Mrs. Pepper continued.

“Oh, I got a thought!” Ethel exclaimed.

“Do tell, girl.” Speaight smiled.

“Well, Sir, maybe Jenny ain’t so daft. Maybe Father Christmas can help us after all.” Ethem grinned.



Did you miss Chapters 1-217 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them
here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 219.




No comments: