Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 223





Chapter 223 
In Confidence



Comin’ to bed so soon?” Gerard asked as Charles came into their room. “’Milla said the masters had ya watchin’ the front door.”

“Nah, I’m just up for a visit.” Charles shook his head.

“Well, ain’t I a lucky bloke?” Gerard grinned. “I had lots o’ company today.”

“You look much better. Even better than you did this morning.” Charles smiled.

“I’m feelin’ better.” Gerard nodded. “Better each day. I’ll be back at me post any day now.”

“We’ll just see what the doctor says about that.” Charles warned.

“Sure, but, you can’t keep doin’ everythin’.”

“I’m all right,” Charles replied.

“Are ya?”

“Sure.” Charles nodded. “Why do you ask?”

“You got that look ‘bout ya.” Gerard squinted.

“What look?” Charles frowned.

“Look, I know ya.” Gerard sighed. “We been sleepin’ in the same room for some time now. Ya get to know a bloke and his moods. I like to think so anyway.”

“I am bothered by something,” Charles whispered.

“Go on, then.” Gerard nodded.

“Well, I…” Charles began. “Listen, Gerry, you’ve got to keep this to yourself.”

“Ain’t I a friend?” Gerard smiled. “Have I ever told somethin’ you said in confidence.”

“No.” Charles answered.

“So, go on…”

Charles looked form side to side as if there could have been someone else they’d not noticed in their cozy room.

“I was downstairs, as the masters instructed.” Charles started. “I heard light footsteps, and, then, Lady Constance came down the stairs. She was looking to leave.”

“Did you stop her?”

“Yes.”

“Well, then.” Gerard smiled. “You done good.”

“I suppose.” Charles answered flatly.

“Did ya tell the masters?”

“No.” Charles shook his head.

“Ain’t ya better?”

“There’s more.” Charles replied.

“Tell.”

“She spoke to me.”

“Lady Constance?”

“Sure.” Charles nodded.

“What’d she tell ya, Charlie?”

“She told me she’s got a child.”

“We knew that. His Grace already told us.” Gerard said.

“I know, but…she said more.”

“What is it, man?” Gerard asked.

“She told me she was the one who killed her mother the Countess.”

“She never did.” Gerard’s eyes widened.

“She did.”

“And, here, all this time the masters thought it were Orpha and Finlay.”

“We all did.” Charles said. “It stands to reason, but Lady Constance told me she done it—like it was nothing.”

“You’ve got to tell the masters.” Gerard said quickly.

“I promised her I’d not.”

“You promised her?”

“I did.”

“Oh, listen, Charlie, it’s Lady Barbara all over again.”

“Don’t say that.” Charles snapped.

“It is. You got a thing for ladies in peril. I know it. You feel like you can take care of ‘em. But, you saw how it worked out with the Duke’s sister, didn’t ya? She broke your heart. She left ya to die. She was mad. Still is—for all we know. Now, this one. She’s a murderer. You can’t get involved with another one like Lady Barbara.”

“You were the henchman of her equally wicked husband.”

Gerard frowned.

Charles quickly realized he’d hurt the man’s feelings.

“I know what I done.” Gerard said softly. “And, I done worse than bein’ associated with Arthur. But, I ain’t like that now. I shown everyone I changed.”

“You have, Gerry. I’m sorry.”

“But, you ain’t changed, my friend.” Gerard continued. “At least Lady Barbara was pretty. This one looks like a horse.”

“She’s not so bad.” Charles shook his head.

“Charles, my kin is all gone. You folk here, you’re my family now, and, Charles, you’re the brother I always wanted. I know your own brother weren’t no treat. I like to think maybe I’m a brother to you, too.”

“Why in hell do you think I’m here telling you all this?” Charles sputtered.

“Well, if that’s the way it is, you oughta listen to me.”

Charles chuckled.

“Tell the masters and don’t let that horsey wench turn your head. She tried, didn’t she?”

“Maybe.” Charles sighed.

“Don’t let her, Charlie. Just don’t.” Gerard pleaded. “I…I love ya. And, I don’t wanna see ya hurt. Why get yourself tangled up with a woman like that when ya got a pretty girl—a nice, innocent girl, right here who you could flirt with.”

“Gamilla’s yours.”

“I don’t mean Gamilla. There’s other girls here.”

“Ethel and Jenny?” Charles laughed.

“You know I mean Vi.” Gerard scowled.

“One thing at a time, Gerry.” Charles shook his head.

“Do this for me. Please. Go to the Duke and Dr. Halifax. Please. When all is said and done, they’re out masters. They give us this home. They made this family for us. Please.”

Charles nodded.

“Will ya?” Gerard asked.

“I’ll think about it.”

“Charlie!”

“I’ll think about the right way to do it,” Charles answered.

“But, you’ll do it?”

“I will.” Charles nodded.

“Fine.” Gerard smiled, finally. “Now, grab that book over there and read to me a bit.”

“Where’s the ‘please’?”

“I used ‘em all up.” Gerard winked.





Did you miss Chapters 1-222? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 224 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square.
 


No comments: