Friday, January 4, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 224




Chapter 224 

Breakfast 


Sir?” Charles smiled as Mr. Punch wriggled while the valet attempted to tie his sable-colored cravat.

“Sorry.” Punch stood still.

“Which pin would His Grace like in his cravat today?” Charles asked.

“Breakfast.” Punch muttered.

“Your Grace?” Charles tilted his head to one side, trying not to laugh.

“I said, ‘breakfast,’” Punch replied with a hint of defeat in his voice. “Breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, breakfast. A lovely breakfast of sausages and boiled eggs and savory mushrooms and beans.” Mr. Punch tapped his feet on the ground.

“You shall have all of that, Sir, and more, I’m sure.” Charles nodded.

“Oh.” Mr. Punch inhaled. “Good.”

“The pin, your Grace?” Charles began.

“Dog Toby wants his breakfast, too.” Punch said brightly, glancing at the terrier who lounged on one of the plush chairs by the hearth.

“Dog Toby’s already had his breakfast. He had some fine mutton when I took him out for his morning routine.” Charles answered.

“Did he?” Punch smiled. “Then, he wants seconds.”

Charles allowed himself to chuckle even though his thoughts weighed upon him heavily. He walked over to fetch the Duke’s jewel case and presented it to Mr. Punch. “Perhaps Your Grace would like to select his own cravat pin.”

“Sparkly,” Punch answered. “Dr. Halifax and I must go to the palace this afternoon for tea.”

“Yes, Your Grace.”

“The Prince wants to present the blue diamond to Her Majesty.” Punch continued. “You know, that were me pa’s diamond.”

“I know, Sir.” Charles nodded.

“Then, we gotta talk with Prince Albert ‘bout them plans for the South Kensington Museum. And, Her Majesty wants to speak with us.”

“I’m sure you’’ll do brilliantly, Your Grace.”

“With all this horrid stuff here…” Punch sighed. “I’m gonna have to rely on you, Charles, to keep them women from actin’ rashly. How I hate to put more on your shoulders.”

“I don’t mind, Sir.” Charles answered, considering, for a moment, telling the Duke of his encounter with Lady Constance. He decided it best to wait until the doctor was also present.

“Lennie’s gonna help,” Punch sighed. “She’s promised to keep them distracted, but, that can’t be easy what with their babies missin’. Should Colin be taken, I’d be inconsolable.”

“I’ve no doubt of it. We all would, Your Grace.”

“Oh, my pin.” Punch said quickly. “Her Majesty always comments favorably on this one.” He reached into the case and removed a stickpin surmounted by an enamel profile of a woman, her diadem set with diamonds and rubies.

“Allow me, Sir.” Charles said gently, taking the pin and affixing it to the cravat.

“Thank you,” Punch replied airily. “Now, breakfast. Breakfast, breakfast. I wanna get down there before the ladies. You say Dr. Halifax is ready?”

“He’s in the nursery with Master Colin, Sir.”

“Right.” Punch said. He looked at Dog Toby, “C’mon, Chum. Time for your seconds.”

The terrier looked up and stretched before jumping from the chair and following Mr. Punch.

Leaving his chamber, Mr. Punch wondered why Charles seemed to be following him to the nursery.

“Was there somethin’ else, Charles?” Punch paused, turning around.

“I had hoped to speak with Your Grace and Dr. Halifax for a moment, please.” Charles replied.

“Oh?” Punch raised an eyebrow. “Certainly, Charlie. Come with me and Dog Toby.”

As they turned the corner in the passage, they stopped in their tracks as Lady Constance came toward them.

“Good morning, Lady Hamish.” Mr. Punch said politely. “I thought that we should speak this morning about your situation. Dr. Halifax and I spent a good part of the night working out a plan which may serve you and Lady Lensdown quite well.”

“Thank you, Your Grace.” She nodded. “May I borrow your man for a moment?”

Punch looked at Charles. “What do you require? Surely Violet can assist you.”

“I was sending your boy, Georgie, to my home to fetch a trunk for me. I’ll need Charles to help him carry it in.”

“Of course, in a few moments.” Punch smiled

“I really do need it now, Your Grace.” Lady Constance replied.

“I shall go at once with Georgie.” Charles said.

“Charles…” Punch began. “You had said…”

“I beg your pardon, Your Grace.” Charles shook his head. I shall speak with you at your convenience before you and Dr. Halifax depart for the palace.”

Punch nodded.

“If you’ll follow me, Charles,” Lady Constance said with relief, “I shall give you your instructions.”

Punch watched as Charles followed Lady Constance.

“Breakfast,” he muttered as Toby wagged his tail. “That, Chum, is not the breakfast I’d planned.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-223 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 225.






No comments: