Friday, January 11, 2013

Object of the Day: Mr. Punch's Pocket Book, 1860








Last week, I showed you an object from the British Museum—the etched frontispiece from Mr. Punch’s Pocket Book of 1872, and, at the time I teased that today I’d be showing you my own example of this annual almanac. 

So, here it is. I’ve had to take pictures instead of scan the pages because, frankly, this book from 1860 is in pristine condition and I don’t want to be the person to damage it. Forgive me, if the pictures are not as crisp as they should be.

Mr. Punch’s Pocket Book, as I mentioned before, contained everything that a gentleman could need throughout a year, especially if he traveled a lot.

The annual publication was produced from about 1843 to 1881 and contained a variety of useful information as well as carefully selected articles which had appeared in Punch throughout the past year. Each edition featured gilt-edged pages nestled in a red box-grain sheepskin folder. The frontispiece of each unfolded and, until about 1880 was hand-colored, or at least augmented with hand color. 


The frontispiece for the 1860 edition features a comic drawing of women in “new” swimming costumes entitled, “Swimming for Ladies.” As usual, the frontispiece corresponds to one of the articles featured at the end of the pocket-sized publication.

The frontispiece leads to the title page which usually features Mr. Punch holding the Pocket Book, and, typically, the baby poking his head out from it. The idea, of course, is that since this publication is an offspring of Punch, it would be like his baby.

The front page reads:

PUNCH’S POCKET BOOK 
FOR 1860 
CONTAINING 
RULED PAGES FOR CASH ACCOUNTS AND MEMORANDA 
FOR EVERY DAY IN THE YEAR. 
AN ALMANACK: 
AND A VARIETY OF USEFUL BUSINESS INFORMATION. 
The Illustrations by John Leech and John Tenniel 



This book has never been used. It has remained untouched since 1860. The ledger pages are blank. The articles are not dog-eared. It’s nearly perfect. I especially enjoy the articles in the back of the book as well as the little society stories, jokes and riddles.

Many thanks to my parents for finding this remarkable gift for me. I’m so enchanted by it.




No comments: