Monday, January 21, 2013

Treat of the Week: Homemade Chicken Soup and Rustic Apple Tart








I've been a little under-the-weather the last few days, so, this week, when Bertie and I visited my parents, we discovered that my mother had made a beautiful, healing chicken soup. A light, flavorful broth, the soup is filled with gorgeous shreds of chicken, noodles, fresh vegetables and herbs. I learned that the key to the exceptional flavor of the broth is that my mother first seasoned and baked the chicken breasts in the over--assuring a richness lacking in most soups.

We enjoyed the soup with freshly-baked corn muffins and a savory salad with shaved imported cheese, avocados, hearts of palm and all sorts of lovely things.







This was followed by a truly stunning apple tart glazed with apricot jam and liqueur. The natural flavor of the apples is heightened by this delicate glaze. And, look how beautiful it is! I love the way my mother lined up the thin slices of the apples. It looks like an Art Nouveau composition!




13 comments:

Carolyn said...

I could use some of that today! Looks yummy-ummy.

Angelo said...

I want some too. I got acold.

Matt said...

That would hit the spot right now. Hope you're feeling better.

Barb said...

That really does look good. The tart is so pretty. They used to say that about me. ; )

Gene said...

I can't imagine what soup that wasn't from a can would taste like. I think this looks perfect and I like the look of the tart too.

Beth Ann said...

So beautiful.

Sam P said...

Mmmmm...mmmmm...good. Only better than that.

Bonnie said...

I wish I could make a tart that beautiful. Mine get mooshy.

Kathy said...

Super! I'd get sick in order to get that soup.

April said...

Love, love the way tbe tart looks.

Doug said...

Such precise work. Beauty!

Book Gurl said...

Very elegant!

Mark said...

Smashing!