Monday, February 18, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 259




Chapter 259 
To Learn 


Once Ulrika Rittenhouse had been ushered by Speaight to the exit, Mr. Punch slowly and cautiously closed the door to the morning room and, then, flung himself onto the settee next to Robert with a loud, exasperated grunt. Pulling his knees up to his chest, he rested his head on Robert’s shoulder.

“Who in God’s name was that?” Lennie gasped. “I’ve never seen such a horrid woman and that’s including Orpha Polk.”

“Ain’t got nothin’ to do with God, that one.” Mr. Punch muttered.

“We met Miss Rittenhouse in New Orleans…in America.” Robert explained.

“That much she told me.” Lennie sighed, sitting across from her brother and his companion. “She actually told me rather a lot, including matters about her intimate life.” She lowered her voice “with Charles’ brother.” Lennie’s eyes widened. “Could this be true?”

“Sadly, yes.” Robert nodded. “Charles’ brother, Giovanni Iantosca, is nothing like our Charles. When Charles left Italy, he left all of that behind him.”

“I knew Charles was of Italian descent, but I did not realize that he was born there. He has no trace of an accent.” Lennie squinted.

Mr. Punch sat up. “He tries real hard. He was young ‘nough when he learned English that, I reckon it don’t show.”

“This Giovanni must be a beast if he’s involved with that woman. What an odd name…Ulrika. She told me that it means ‘Wolf Queen’ or some such nonsense.”

“Teutonic.” Robert nodded.

Punch shook his head. “Suits her. And, you’re right ‘bout Giovanni. It were he what killed me pa…Julian’s and my pa.”

“He did?”

“Whether it was his hand or not who ended Sir Colin’s life, the fact is, it was he who organized the theft which left Sir Colin dead.” Robert said softly.

“Does this Ulrika know this?” Lennie asked, shocked.

“Course!” Punch howled. “She loves it! She’s a wicked one. Made bloody nightmares for us in America. It were her interference what finally ruined Barbara.”

“Barbara,” Lennie whispered. “It’s so strange to think I’ve a sister I’ll never know.”

“You’re better off for it,” Punch shrugged. “Barbara were no prize never, but Ulrika—tryin’ to trick ‘er out of ‘er fortune—were the one what finally drove Barbara into total madness. Ulrika consorts with witches and madmen, devils and thieves. She even took our Colin.”

“What?”

“She did,” Robert replied. “She was going to raise him as her own. We managed to retrieve him very quickly.”

“How…how were you able to be so courteous to her just now?” Lennie gasped.

“Robert convinced me that there ain’t no use in startin’ up a row with ‘er ‘gain. All we wanted was to get her away from you, and, then, outta the ‘ouse.”

“That you did in short order. I’d never witnessed such a thing. You greeted her warmly, and, then bid her goodbye.”

“We’ve gotten used to such things.” Robert chuckled.

“And, my dear brother, you didn’t skip a beat. I’m always fascinated when you speak in your patrician voice.” Lennie smiled.

“It’s a voice what you should hear from time to time for it’s the way Julian speaks. After all, it’s he what’s really your brother, not I.”

“Punch, I consider you and Julian to be one in the same. There’s no distinction. You are different facets of the same jewel.”

Punch blushed. “That’s what my Robert told me. ‘Member, Chum? On the ship?”

“I remember.” Robert took Punch’s hand in his own. His smiled faded. “I do hate to think that that wretch is here. We could sit here all night and give you the litany of her crimes, I’m afraid. No telling what she’s come for.”

“There is telling.” Lennie replied. “She told me. She’s come to see the Messiah.”

“Like…like…the Baby Jesus? He ain’t here no more than He’s anywhere else.” Punch scowled.

“Not exactly that Messiah. Ulrika confided that she is involved with some unnamed organization and through this entity, she received word that in London, a new Messiah has been born. She’s come to see him.”

Robert shook his head.

“Oh, wait, brother Robert,” Lennie said, “there’s more. Can you guess to whom this child—this miraculous child—has been born?”

Punch’s eyes widened. “I don’t want to. Chum don’t want to neither.”

“It couldn’t be?” Robert narrowed his eyes.

“Oh, yes.” Lennie nodded. “To Orpha Polk.”

“A bastard product of incest is the ‘new Messiah’?” Robert asked.

“If you’re Ulrika Rittenhouse it is.” Punch growled.

“Did you tell her that we know Orpha—too well?” Robert asked cautiously.

“No.” Lennie shook her head. “Luckily, Charles entered and, upon seeing, dropped the claret tray.”

“I wondered what all that mess is.” Punch glanced at the floor.

“Now I understand why Charles retreated so quickly.” Lennie sighed.

Robert’s eyes darted around the room. A fact which didn’t escape Lennie’s observation.

“Robert?” She wondered.

Punch shook his head. “He’s thinkin’, he is.”

“About?”

“No tellin’.” Punch shrugged. “Could be anything from how to get wine stains outta marble to how to somehow turn this added bit of strangeness into our favor.”

“More the latter,” Robert muttered.

“If anyone can do it, it’ll be you, Chum.” Punch said encouragingly. “My solution was to give ‘er a good blow to the ‘ead.”

“I’m glad you didn’t.” Lennie replied dryly. “There’s already a wine stain on the floor. Why add to it?”

Punch smiled.

Robert stood.

“Where you goin’?” Punch asked.

“Upstairs.” Robert responded absent-mindedly. “The the library.”

“Why?” Lennie asked.

“There’s a book on ancient religions. I remember seeing it.”

“Sure,” Punch nodded. “It were one of pa’s. All of pa’s books are on the second tier on the left of the mantel.”

“I’ll return in a moment.” Robert nodded, hurrying out of the room.

“I’d best ring for someone to clean this mess before it really does stain the marble.” Lennie walked to the pull-push.”

“Hope they send Charles up.” Punch nodded. “I should speak to ‘im, and make sure ‘e understands Ulrika ain’t no threat and we ain’t gonna let his brother at ‘im. Or…at least, we’ll try.”

Lennie, after ringing, sat down next to Punch.

“I’m sure sorry Ulrika bothered ya.”

“I’m quite well, brother, dear.” Lennie smiled.

“You are.” Punch nodded. “You’re strong.”

“I’m remembering that I can be.” Lennie answered. “I’m actually learning that I’m more resilient than I ever imagined.”

“Good.” Punch smiled.

“I’ve learned this from you, Mr. Punch.”

“Nah.” Punch shook his head.

“Yes.” Lennie nodded. “You may not accept it, but it’s true nonetheless. Furthermore, I’ll continue to think so. In that case, you’d best not question my high opinion of you.”

Punch laughed. “Maybe I got some things to learn from you, too.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-258 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 260.




No comments: