Monday, February 25, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 265





Chapter 265 
Yellow Pinafore



Mr. Punch didn’t bother disguising his usual manner of speaking. In fact. He decided that Fern would respond better to his own voice than she would the formal pretense of Julian’s manner. He and Robert both wished they could have dressed properly, and hoped that Fern would not be shocked by their appearance in their dressing gowns.

The girl didn’t seem to notice their attire.

“Fern?” Mr. Punch smiled softly. “I am the Duke of Fallbridge.”

“Your Grace.” Fern rose from her chair in the hallway.

“And, this,” Punch gestured to Robert, “Is Dr. Halifax. He is me chum.”

“Yes, Your Grace.” Fern nodded.

“You can call me Mr. Punch.” Punch continued.

“Mummy said you’d tell me that.” Fern replied emotionlessly.

“Where is your mummy?” Punch asked.

“Gone.” Fern repeated what she told Charles.

“Gone where?” Robert asked.

“This will tell you.” Fern held up the letter upon which she’d held so tightly since Lady Constance had given it to her.

“Let’s go in the morning room,” Robert said.

Fern nodded and followed the two men. She glanced behind her and saw Charles watching them from the banisters. She looked him in the eyes, and turned again.

“I can take that for you,” Robert suggested once the morning room door was closed behind them.

“I’m to give it to His Grace.” Fern shook her head.

“Well, I shall take it.” Punch smiled.

“Yes, Your Grace.” Fern handed the letter to him. Punch broke the wax seal and opened the envelope. He considered reading it aloud, but decided against it. He read the missive silently to himself, trying to keep his face from registering any reaction and hoped that the shiver of fear which he had experienced hadn’t been obvious to the girl.

When finished, Punch looked up at Robert and handed him the letter.

Robert, too, read it silently.

May it please Your Grace, the Duke of Fallbridge,

The girl who will bring this missive to you is my daughter, Fern. Her father, as you know, is Victor Geddes, the Baron Lensdown. I have seen her freed from Orpha Polk and find myself indebted to the woman called Eudora Stover who risked life and limb so that I might take my daughter to safety. Please be lenient with Miss Stover and your former maid Hortence, the latter who is mostly blinded from Orpha’s cruelty and the former whose own children suffer at the hand of the beast. Still incarcerated in that horrid shack are the children of Gertrude, Lady Lensdown. You must see to it that they are also freed as theirs will be a terrible fate if they are not.

There is, within that house, a monster. It is called Marduk, the offspring of Orpha Polk and her brother, the Baron Lensdown. It is a foul thing with two heads, two mouths, four eyes…and three arms. Eudora informed me that it was Orpha’s intention to one day wed my daughter to the creature, her deformed half-brother.

This horror, I’m sure is my punishment. I am wicked. I am a murderess and responsible for the death of my own mother. My own daughter must not be exposed to wickedness such as mine. Her innocence deserves kinder keepers. The one kind thought my mother ever conceived was the one for which she was killed. She thought it best that Fern should be reared in a home of love. I was to give Fern to you as your ward, if you’d have her. I feared giving away the child I so loved, and, yet, know I beg of you to take her to save her life.

Mine is over. My punishment has been realized and I know what I must do. By the time you read these words, I will have hanged myself from the gallery of my home. Please send the authorities to clear the debris, and, under no circumstances tell Fern what’s become of me or let her see me. I am to be buried without consecration nor monument.

Should you see fit to take my daughter as your charge, know that she is a fine and intelligent girl, if not given to fits of melancholy. Should you not wish this added burden, you might consider making her part of your staff. She will serve you well.

I remain your humble servant,

Constance, Lady Hamish



Robert folded the letter and returned it to its envelope.

“What does my mother say?” Fern asked. “Where has she gone? She insisted I take this and leave the house so she might leave. I was to come straight here. She told me only that she was leaving right away. When will she return for me?”

“She will not,” Punch said honestly and gently. “It is your mother’s wish that you should stay here with us.”

“For how long?”

“Until you’re grown.” Punch answered earnestly.

“But, this is not my home.”

“It shall be,” Punch replied. “Yes, chum?”

“Certainly it shall be.” Robert nodded. “And, it’s a happy home at that. We’ve a son of our own, you know.”

“Oh?” Fern squinted. “How old?”

“He’s a baby.” Punch answered, noting the girl’s terrified expression at the mention of the word.

“A happy, regular baby with one handsome, smiling face and ten little fingers and toes.” Punch added quickly. “He’s named Colin.”

“How do you have a baby?” Fern asked. “Isn’t it strange for two men…”

“Not really.” Robert interrupted. “His Grace and I look after Colin and consider him ours. He is adopted. This is his home and we are his parents and we love him.”

“Sure,” Punch smiled.

“My mother said that I am to live here?”

“Yes.” Punch replied.

“Shall I work for my board?”

“No.” Robert said firmly. “You will live here with us as Colin does. Yes, Mr. Punch?”

“That’s right, Chum.” Punch answered without hesitation.

“I think you’ll like it here.” Robert continued. “We’ve a dog. He’s a friendly, funny furry chap called Dog Toby. And, His Grace has many toys and puppets which he will show you. There’s lots of good food to eat and it’s warm and pretty here.”

“Is it just you, His Grace and the baby?”

“No.” Punch shook his head. “I’ve a sister, Miss Molliner, who, I’m sure will insist you call her Lennie. She lives here as well. She’s a right lovely woman with a good heart, she has. And, then, there’s all the nice folk what work here.”

“Thank you all the same, but, I would rather have my mother.”

Robert spoke up. “Your mother had to leave. She wants you to be safe from those people with whom you’ve been staying and she knew the safest place for you was here with us. We will do all that we can to make you comfortable.”

“Starting with a bath and a new dress, I think.” Mr. Punch suggested gently.

“My other dresses are at home.”

“We will send someone to fetch them for you, and…” Robert glanced at Punch. “To see that all is well at your former home while your mother is away.”

“And, after your bath, you will have a good, warm meal and I shall read to you, if you like.” Punch smiled.

Fern looked from Punch’s face to Robert’s and back again. Finally, she sighed. “I would like a bath.”

“Excellent.” Robert nodded. He walked to the bell pull and rang.

“And, once you have gotten comfortable, we will introduce you to our son and to Dog Toby and to the staff.” Punch smiled.

Fern did not return the smile. “Is my mother dead” She asked.

“Yes, she is.” Punch answered softly. “It is best that you know the truth, I think.”

Fern nodded, silent for a few seconds. Finally, she spoke. “When someone goes to get my things, please see that they get my yellow pinafore.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-264 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you may read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 266.




 

No comments: