Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 267




Chapter 267 
When They Smile 



Isn’t it a perfect morning, really?” Ulrika Rittenhouse grinned as Eudora Stover opened the door.

Eudora nodded.

“I’m here for Miss Polk, of course.” Ulrika pushed past Eudora.

“Miss Polk is in there.” Eudora pointed.

Ulrika turned toward the door to the front bedroom, but paused as a curious look passed across her face. “What’s your name?” She asked.

“Eudora.”

“What an unusual name. What does it mean?”

“Dunno,” Eudora shrugged.

“We must find out, really.” Ulrika winked. “Tell me, Eudora…are you the mother of Fern?”

“No.” Eudora shook her head.

“Ah, well, is the girl’s mother still here? Miss Polk informed me last night that one of you women was Fern’s mother.”

“No, Miss.” Eudora replied, trying to let her nervousness show. “Like Miss Polk wanted, Fern’s mother has left.”

“Good!” Ulrika chirped. “Really, it’s for the best. Bring the girl to us in a few moments. Will you? I’d like to see her.”

“Miss…”

“Really,” Ulrika snapped, her cheerfulness spent. “Do as I say. That’s your position here!”

“Miss, this is me own house. Orpha and her…child…are guests here. I ain’t a servant to no one, ‘specially not you.”

Ulrika took Eudora firmly by the arm. “Maybe so, but you are a servant to Marduk! Do you understand?”

“Yes, Miss.” Eudora whimpered.

Ulrika released her. “Now, do as I say.”

“Yes, Miss.”

With a theatrical sweep of her arms, Ulrika turned from Eudora and opened the door to Orpha’s room as Eudora skittered away.

“There’s our messiah and his cherished mother.” Ulrika said grandly.

Orpha beamed. “Good morning.”

“Have our little mouths been fed yet this morning?” Ulrika asked.

“No…” Orpha sighed. “I don’t know what’s taking them so long. They’re hungry, and, if he doesn’t get his breakfast on time, they can become quite irritable. Well, one of him, at least.”

“Poor darling.” Ulrika pouted. “Shall I press upon your women?”

“No.” Orpha shook her head. “Thank you, but they’ve got their orders. I’ve sent Hortence to fetch more nourishment for Marduk.”

“Hortence?” Ulrika smiled. “Is she the one you blinded?”

“Yes.” Orpha nodded. “It seems I didn’t do a complete enough job of it. She can still see a bit from one eye.”

“Well, really, my dear, you can’t be expected to do everything.” Ulrika shook her head. “You’re too, too important, really. That’s why I’ve come here with a little scheme.”

“Oh?”

“Clearly you’re not being cared for properly here.” Ulrika looked around the room. “And, really, the place is disgustingly dirty. You and the messiah should be living in luxury. So, I’d like to take you from here.”

“Miss Rittenhouse…”

“Ulrika, really, please.”

“Ulrika, you’re so generous.”

“I know.” Ulrika responded. “And, I’ve just found the perfect place. The lease has only just become available, in fact. Just this morning. My dear, dear Giovanni, while taking his morning walk, heard of the suicide of a lady. As she’s no heirs, speculation is that the house will be disposed of very quickly. It’s quite possible that I could have you moved by month’s end. And, it’s a grand place, too. Also, very convenient.”

“Where is it?”

“Belgrave Square.” Ulrika’s eyes sparkled. “Just a few doors away from the Duke of Fallbridge.”

Orpha narrowed her eyes.

“I thought you’d be pleased, really.” Ulrika scowled.

“Oh, I am, Ulrika. Did you happen to learn the name of the woman who committed suicide?”

“Hamon or something…”

“Hamish?” Orpha asked.

“Yes, that’s it.” Ulrika nodded. “Lady Hamish.”

Orpha chuckled loudly.

“Are you familiar with the woman?” Ulrika asked.

“You could say so.” Orpha smiled. “She’s Fern’s mother.”

“Oh! How splendid. You see, my dear? Really, it’s Marduk’s doing. So young and already they’re so powerful! And, won’t it be grand for the bride-to-be to be able to live in her own home again? Furthermore, we won’t have to worry about interference from the mother. It’s perfection!”

“So, you intend to take Fern with us?”

“Certainly.”

“What of the other two? Marduk’s half-siblings.”

“Well, you say their mother is…unexceptional. So, no, we won’t need them. Furthermore, it seems that Fern will be perfect. So, I suppose we can return them to their mother. Unless…unless, of course, you’d planned something for them. Sacrifice, perhaps.”

“No, no. They were simply another means of attracting the attention of their father, my brother.”

“Well, then, we can be rid of them. Fern’s the only one who matters. She’ll see to it that our Marduk will live forever.”

“In Belgrave Square…” Orpha smiled.

“I won’t let the lease get away from us. I’m sure it will take some time, but, really, I’ve ways of hurrying things along. Of course, I’ll be staying there with you as will Giovanni. You’ll like him.”

“I’m sure.”

“And, just think,” Ulrika winked. “We’ll be the Duke’s neighbors. Won’t that be lovely?”

“Ideally.”

“My dear, you’ll have everything you deserve as the mother of Marduk. I shall see to it. Everything you ever wanted! Really. Even the Duke’s coffers of gold.”

“I am your servant.” Orpha bowed her head.

“No, my dear. I’m yours!” Ulrika cooed. “However, speaking of servants…where’s Marduk’s breakfast? Look at his faces! You can see he’s hungry. Furthermore, I asked for the girl…Fern…to be brought to us. I’d like to meet her.”

Just then, Eudora entered the room followed by Hortence who held onto Eudora’s apron strings to guide her.

Eudora carried a basket from which angry squeaks arose.

“Oh…I do love when they’re fresh.” Orpha smiled.

“We only found two.” Eudora muttered.

“Now, you may bring Fern to us.” Orpha nodded. “Did you hear? Lady Constance has taken her own life!”

Eudora’s face fell. “No, I didn’t know. How can you be sure?”

“I told her.” Ulrika interrupted. “And, I’m always sure. Now, go and fetch the girl.”

“I can’t.” Eudora replied.

“Don’t.” Hortence whispered.

“Don’t what?” Orpha frowned. “What have you to say, Eudora?”

“Seems, Miss, when Lady Constance left in the night, she musta taken Fern with her. We can’t find her nowhere.”

Orpha yowled, grabbing the basket of rats from Eudora’s hand. “How could you let this happen? You slut! You imbecile!”

“I can’t watch everything all the time! There’s a houseful o’ children and…”

“Silence!” Orpha screamed. “You let it happen. You conspired against me. Against my lovely monster. You know where she is. Where’s the girl?”

“With her mother, I would have thought.” Eudora spat.

“Her mother is dead.”

“And, I hope the girl’s dead, too. Anything would be better than bein’ tied to that thing!” She pointed at Marduk.

“For God’s sake, Eudora…” Hortence pleaded quietly from behind Eudora. “Don’t make it worse.”

“I’m sick and tired of bein’ ordered about in me own house. All you told me was false, you bitch. You promised me I’d be rewarded should I help ya, but all I got was that beast in me house and treated like a maid. And, me friend…maimed like she is! I want you outta me house, Orpha!”

“I shall be soon enough.” Orpha replied coldly. “But, not until Fern is returned to me.”

“Why’d I do that? Well? I ain’t gonna take that poor child back to this ‘orror!”

“You are.” Orpha smiled wickedly.

“You think so?” Eudora challenged her.

“This is delicious.” Ulrika squealed, sitting back in her chair.

“If you don’t, I’ll feed your own children to Marduk, little bit by little bit…and make you watch.”

“My children are safe.” Eudora smirked. “Their auntie’s just come to take them where you’ll never find them. Furthermore, she’s takin’ them two of Lady Lensdown’s back to their mum.”

“Then, I’ll…” Orpha began.

“Really, if I may…” Ulrika interrupted.

“Of course.” Orpha grunted.

“What do ya think you can do, American?” Eudora snorted. “I ain’t got nothin’ you can take from me now. There’s nothin’ what I got what I care ‘bout now that me babies is safe. Even if you take me own life…I don’t care.”

“I’m glad to know it,” Ulrika smiled, opening her reticule and removing a small dagger. “Now, smile for me. I always like when they smile.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-266 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back tomorrow for Chapter 268.






8 comments:

Darcy said...

I'm so glad you got Lady Lensdown and Eudora 's children out of that house. I was worried about them.
Orpha and Ulrika are pure evil separately , but together they're a whole cross section of hell.
Every neighbor in Belgrave Square will have a reason to fear if they succeed in leasing Hamish House.

Joseph Crisalli said...

You're, Darcy Ulrika and Orpha are an unholy union. There's going to be some Victorian homeowners association meetings needed on Belgrave Square! Thanks for your comment!

Dashwood said...

Yes, they really will ruin THAT neighborhood.

Joseph Crisalli said...

Ha!

Carolyn said...

Scary stuff happening! I love it!!!

Joseph Crisalli said...

Thanks, Carolyn!

Matt said...

I love the turn this took!

Joseph Crisalli said...

I appreciate that!