Saturday, March 2, 2013

Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square, Chapter 270




Chapter 270 
Trust the Quiet 


Mr. Punch smiled at Robert. “It’s quiet.”

“For a change, it is.” Robert nodded. “I’m not sure what to make of it.”

Punch rose from his spot at the library table and neatly covered his work—the brooch of colored diamonds in the shape of three butterflies—with a velvet cover. He joined Robert on the settee, pushing aside a stack of books.

“It’s a stunning pin, dear Punch.” Robert grinned. “Are you satisfied with the goldsmiths’ work?”

“Very,” Punch nodded. “I were just checking the mounts. All nice and secure, they are. I think I’ll send it to Prince Albert—only to borrow, mind. It’ll let ‘im know I been workin’ on them items for the Museum what we talked ‘bout. Do ya think he’s still angry that I didn’t get ‘im anythin’ for the American Exposition?”

“I’m sure he’s forgotten it,” Robert shook his head. “His Majesty’s German temper seems to burn hot and fast. Nevertheless, Her Majesty will always favor you, so, the Prince Consort is rather powerless. Even if Prince Albert were to hold a grudge, you’re still the Queen’s favorite. He’ll have to hold his tongue.”

Punch sighed and put his head on Robert’s shoulder. “The Queen’s favorite. It’s nice, it is. Only as long as I’m your favorite, I got all I want.”

“No need for worry on that account.” Robert set down his book and tousled Punch’s auburn hair. “You’ll always be my favorite.”

“And you mine.” Punch smiled. He sat up. “Coo! It is quiet, then. Too quiet.”

“I rather like it.”

“Normally I do, too. Only this time, with all what’s been appenin’, I don’t trust the quiet. Is everyone where they ought to be?”

“Well, Lennie is in the morning room with Fern and Ethel. Gamilla and Gerard have the afternoon free so they might prepare Gamilla’s trousseau. Violet is watching Colin, Mrs. Pepper is preparing tea, Charles is sorting through our wardrobes and Speaight is teaching Georgie the ‘proper’ way to polish the silver. Violet’s cleaned the reception rooms, Georgie’s done the grates, the house is in order, and, for a pleasant change, no one is knocking on our door.”

“What of Lady Lensdown?”

“She is watching her children nap in the jade room.”

“And, Dog Toby’s here with us.” Punch shrugged. “So, I wager everyone really is where they ought. Huh…”

“What is it, Dear Punch?”

“This is the first time that’s been the case since we came back here from The Grange.”

Robert nodded. “We should enjoy it while it lasts.”

“Maybe we’ll get tea without interruption today. What do ya ‘magine?”

“It’s possible.” Robert winked. “I’d not count on it. But, it is possible.”

“’Bout tea? And, dinner? Do ya think Lady Lensdown and her two will want to join us.”

“I doubt it. She seems keen on keeping her children to herself. Of course, we’ll ask her.”

“I don’t blame ‘er. Gertrude just wants to be with her little ones. If she don’t wanna come down, we’ll ask for trays. Poor Mrs. Pepper havin’ to make up all them trays, too.”

“Speaight told me that he’ll be interviewing kitchen maids tomorrow. The agency is still looking for candidates for the other position.”

Punch sighed. “Good.”

“You’re thinking of Jenny.” Robert patted Punch’s knee.

“I am.” Punch responded. “At least Ethel’s on the mend.”

“Thanks to you.” Robert answered.

“I didn’t do nothin’.”

“I knew you’d say that.”

“Truly, Chum. It’s just I think Fern and Ethel will be a help to one another. Here, speakin’ of Fern, what’s to be done regarding dinners and such? Will she take her meals in the nursery or with us?”

“In the nursery, I trust. She’s too young to come down for dinner.”

“I figured.” Punch frowned. “Only I don’t want ‘er to feel like she’s bein’ kept separate from the family.”

“I’m sure she understands. The girl’s been scuttled around most of her life. I know she’s spent time with Lady Constance most recently, but, Constance had previously sent her from school to school as soon as she was old enough.”

“Still, we should ask ‘er to come down after supper. Maybe you could read to us.”

“I’d like that.” Robert replied.

“What are you readin’ right now, anyway, Chum?”

“I was just doing some research.”

“On?” Punch picked up one of the books. “Deformities of the Human Body.”

Robert smiled sheepishly.

“Don’t read this to us later.”

“I won’t.” Robert chuckled.

Just then, Speaight entered the library. “Pardon me, your Grace.”

“What is it, Speaight?” Punch asked pleasantly.

“Mr. Donnan is downstairs, Your Grace. He wishes to see you.”

Punch looked at Robert. “We weren’t to see them today, were we?”

“No.” Robert shook his head. “We’d told him to come at the end of the week unless he saw Orpha and carried out our plan.”

“Perhaps they saw ‘er.” Punch’s eyes widened. “Maybe he convinced her to go. To ‘kill’ Orpha Polk and change her name again and just go away.”

“Speaight, is Mr. Donnan alone or is Mr. Stover with him?” Robert asked.

“He’s alone, Sir.”

“How peculiar.” Robert muttered.

“I think you’d best come quickly, Your Grace.” Speaight urged.

“There’s trouble?” Punch stood up.

“Mr. Donnan informed us that he and Mr. Stover found Eudora Stover and Hortence…dead.”

“Oh…” Punch lowered his head.

“Did he say anything else?” Robert asked.

“That upon the sight of his daughter’s…pardon me…remains, Mr. Stover went running off into the streets. Mr. Donnan is not sure where the man went. It seems the house was otherwise empty.”

Robert rubbed his forehead. “Tell Mr. Donnan, please, that we’ll be down momentarily.”

“It’s gonna take more than gettin’ this woman to change her name and go away to make this stop, Chum.” Punch said. “She’s taken the lives of too many people. A bribe and a plea from us ain’t ‘nough.”

“Dear Punch, you know that it was meant to be a trap. Our request to ‘kill’ her Orpha persona and start anew was simply a means to lure her to the authorities.”

“It won’t work.” Punch shook his head. “Now she’s got Ulrika on ‘er side, she’s more dangerous than ever. It’ll take more than Scotland Yard to stop the two o’ them.”

“I know.” Robert mumbled. “I also know what you’re suggesting. I won’t let you do it.”

Punch took a deep breath.

“No.” Robert said firmly.

Punch nodded. “Let’s just go to Mr. Donnan. Never thought I’d feel sorry for ‘im.”

“Nor I.” Robert bit his lip. “Perhaps he saw something which can afford us some idea where Orpha went.”

“I knew this quiet was too good.” Punch sighed.

“We shall have it back.” Robert said gently.

“Not for awhile, Chum.” Punch shook his head, “not for awhile.”



Did you miss Chapters 1-269 of Mr. Punch of Belgrave Square? If so, you can read them here. Come back on Monday for Chapter 271.



No comments: