Thursday, August 8, 2013

Treat of the Week: A Victorious Birthday




Today is my father's birthday.  Hooray!  Unfortunately, my father's spent more time helping me out the past few weeks than he's been able to spend on himself, and, I've been such a mess that I haven't been able to shop for a gift for him.

Thankfully, my mother is always prepared, and, this past Sunday she made a pre-birthday feast for my father which was fit for a King!

To begin, an entree of pork chops prepared in apple butter and apple cider offered a beautiful combination of sweet and savory.  This was served with asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, and couscous, and fresh, crusty bread.  






But, the star of the birthday show, was the cake.  My mother refers to this monumental cake as a “Victory Cake.” It is certainly a triumph of the art of baking! Freshly whipped cream and sliced bananas are sandwiched between layers of dense, luscious home-made chocolate cake. The whole of it is topped with more whipped cream and sliced banana.  Whipped cream rosettes and candied nuts add further adornment.  A bit of salt on the candied nuts is also a brilliant counterpoint to the sweetness of the chocolate and the cool creaminess of the banana and cream. There’s nothing quite as luxurious as this combination of flavors. This superb creation is the perfect way to celebrate any occasion.








So...happy birthday to my pop!  Thanks for taking such good care of us for all these years!


15 comments:

Matt said...

Happy Birthday to your dad. Nice porkchops. Great cake!

April said...

Every bit of that is perfect. Happy birthday!

Barb said...

That cake is so beautiful. I am sure it tastes even better. Happy birthday to your father.

Doug said...

Happy cake for a happy day and happy pork chops too!

Angelo said...

Happy Birthday. Wish I had a good cake like that!!!!

Sam P said...

The victory for me would be having enough self control to end up not eating it in one sitting--the whole cake!

Gene said...

This is what I want for my birthday. Happy birthday to your dad.

Beth Ann said...

Pork chops and apple sauce. A Brady birthday only better. And with a beautiful 40s cake. Happy birthday!!! To your father!!!!

Carolyn said...

Happy birthday and yay for your yumsy cake!

Kathy said...

Looks perfect. Happy bday to your dad.

Book Gurl said...

Stunning!

Mark said...

Happy birthday! Beautiful cake! Cheers!!

Renee said...

Happy birthday to your poppa. I think a victory cake is one of the best cakes ever made. Wonderful!

Susan said...

A happy birthday to your father.

Joel said...

Thank you, Joseph, for the nice words and thanks to all our STBE friends for the birthday wishes.

PS: Cake was FABULOUS!