Monday, December 16, 2013

Treat of the Week: Making Forty Years Worth It









I know the fortieth birthday is supposed to be a big deal--somehow magical in that one is meant to feel different in some way.  Or, at least, so goes the mythology of sitcoms and greeting cards.  Thus far, only four days into it, I don't feel any different.

However, after Sunday with my parents, I am glad to have had the birthday because my mother and father went out of their way to make a very special Sunday dinner in honor of the occasion.  To begin with, my mother made one of my favorite meals, and, it was followed with...well...you'll see.  



We started the celebration with a savory, rich and thoroughly perfect Beef Bourguignon. I have to tell you, the beef was so tender and perfect that it almost melted on the fork. Joined with fresh asparagus and lovely, long papparadelle, it was a meal that made me glad I’ve lived this long.






And, then…the cake. Oh, the cake. The perfect cake about which I’ve been dreaming for the last twelve months. The quintessential cake to end all cakes. A creation of my mother’s this cake is a bit of heavenly springtime in winter. Layers flecked with strawberries are topped with a layer of wild strawberry filling. The entire beauty is iced with Strawberry-infused Swiss-Meringue buttercream.




Isn't it lovely?  I truly do think about this cake all year.  It's my favorite cake--ever.  



I think I'll go eat a piece now.

13 comments:

April said...

Couldn't be a prettier cake, glad you had a good birthday.

Carolyn said...

My goodness...that is a beautiful dinner and the cake is like a dreamy picture perfect painting. So nice you got what you wanted.

Gene said...

A very beautiful meal and the best looking cake I can imagine.

Matt said...

Good for you! You have the best mom!

Angelo said...

I want youf ma to make my bday supper.

Book Gurl said...

Stunning!

Sam P said...

If I couldn't have it, I'm glad you could.

Beth Ann said...

Someday I will be as good a cook as your mom. So impressive!

Wendy said...

Sounds and looks like a great party. Wish I had a peace of cake.

Gregg said...

Now THAT is a birthday cake.

Barb said...

I think that is what I want for MY birthday!

Renee said...

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed such a delicious and beautiful celebration.

Kathy said...

Another gorgeous cake that should be in a magazine!!!