Thursday, May 29, 2014

Treat of the Week, Double Edition!




My mother's birthday and Memorial Day are close together, so, we often spend the long weekend celebrating both days.  This week's "Treat of the Week" is going to cover both events.

Let's begin with my mother's birthday.  As always, my father made the dinner to give my mother a day off.  It's one of the two days a year when my father cooks.

He's outdone himself this time.  He began by baking a lovely homemade bread.  


We enjoyed a beautiful dish of Pasta Carbonara.  Tasty pappardelle in a creamy sauce with perfectly-crumbled pancetta made for a delightful celebratory dinner.  A handsome tomato-mozzarella salad was a great finish to the main course.



Then, we had birthday pie.  My mother enjoys lemon meringue pie, and my father makes a very good one.  This time, I have to say, it was his best.  The homemade crust was tender and light, the filling was alive with the flavor of lemons and the meringue was fluffy and high.




It was a job well done!




The following day, my mother was back in control of the kitchen and created an incredible Memorial Day dinner for everyone.  Sweet and savory shredded pork barbeque served up on fluffy rolls with pickles was an ideal American dinner.  Served up with my mother's special coleslaw (made with ranch dressing and not mayonnaise) of jewel-toned cabbage, we enjoyed every bit of the meal.  But, for me, the best part was a new edition--a cool, flavorful couscous salad.  The couscous was prepared with pesto, giving it a rich flavor, and, then it became a salad with bright green olives and sweet capers--dressed with a subtle vinaigrette.  




I had several servings!




For dessert, my mother made a gorgeous pear and cherry strudel.  Topped with a decadent homemade carmel sauce and freshly-whipped cream, it was a delightful end to an already delicious celebration.




10 comments:

Agnelo said...

Looks real good both days.

Barb said...

I have to say, your father is very ambitious in the kitchen and does very well for himself. No one is going to match your mother's talents, but it's great that he tries. BTW, that strudel looks divine!

April said...

I'm glad you guys had a nice holiday! I'll have to try a cous cous salad. I love cous cous too!

Gene said...

I would like to learn how to cook, but I'm not allowed in the kitchen. It is one of the areas that my wife won't let me go. I think she keeps her boyfriends there. This all looks great. Wish I could have some barbeque.

Sam P said...

That appears to be the perfect weekend!

Susan said...

I like the thought of coleslaw without mayo. I'll have to try a cous-cous salad.

Matt said...

That's sweet that your father cooks twice a year. I wouldn't mind a plate of barbeque and those salads either.

Beth Ann said...

How nice of your father! I would also like to try a couscous salad, it sounds delicious!! I will see if I can make something like it.

Gregg said...

As always my mouth is watering.

Carolyn said...

That sure beats the usual Hot dogs and hamburgers most have on Memorial Day. I'd be thrilled if someone made me a birthday dinner like that too!