Thursday, February 19, 2015

Unusual Artifacts: A Model of a Grocery Store, Circa 1870

Model Grocery Store
Crown Copyright
The Royal Collection
via The Royal Collection Trust
Image Courtesy of Her Majesty Queen ELizabeth II

Click image to enlarge.






I hate going to the grocery store.  I loathe it.  Frankly, I dislike going most fundamental places.  I enjoy going places wherein there are pretty things, sparkly things, and only then when there aren't many people about.  Still, a fella's gotta eat.  

But, here's a grocery store to which I wouldn't mind going.  Were it full-sized...or, if I were a little, tiny person.  Hmmm...that would be interesting, momentarily.

We see here a model of a grocery store from unspecified origin and date.  Housed in The Royal Collection, the model is called, "Grocerie SPRATT Her Majesty."

It features a glazed door and windows through which are displaying miniature baskets, jars and bottles of food. Inside the model, a wooden counter precedes wooden drawers and metal jars which contain spices and groceries. 

The entire model is housed in a glass case.

No comments: